Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Insomnia, Fireworks & The Skinny Rules

I didn't get home until 1:30 am, hence the day-late post! Luckily I started the draft yesterday afternoon :)

Here is my post from yesterday, July 3rd!

My day started at 10:30 am. Let me tell you a little story...

Apparently I have insomnia and restless leg syndrome.

I went to bed at 11:30 pm and laid there until 2:30 am. It was miserable! At one point I whispered Jonny's name and asked if he was awake. He asked me what was wrong and I told him I couldn't sleep. His response: "Close your eyes." Words of wisdom from my husband, haha.

When I realized he was not awake and was simply answering my questions in his sleep, I decided to try Charlie.


Charlie was at the foot of our bed snuggled between our feet. He was breathing deep (more like "snoring") - obviously sound asleep. I started scratching his head...no response. Next, I whispered his name a few times...no response. I finally started nudging him and eventually tried to roll him over...
still no response. So I picked him up and situated him between my body and arm and he instantly nestled into the crook of my neck. Sweet boy.

Well,
 this lasted about 5 minutes before his "snoring" started to get on my nerves. Fail.

What in the world is there to do at 2:30 am? I finally got out of bed and spent about an hour walking around the house and pinning things on Pinterest. I went back to bed around 3:30 am and eventually fell asleep, thank goodness!


If you have any tips
 on ways to fall asleep or suggestions of things to do in the wee-hours of the morning, please share!

So, as I said before, I slept until 10:30 am! I had plans to eat lunch with Jonny at his office, so I got cleaned up and headed to Lewisville. I didn't have time to eat breakfast and I knew I'd be eating lunch in a little over an hour, so I drank 16 ounces of water to tide me over. (
I hate spoiling my meals! If I know it won't be long, I try to fill up on water or coffee.)

For
 lunch we picked up sandwiches at Jimmy John's and I was pleasantly surprised to find that you can choose any sandwich and make it a "low carb lettuce wrap" which they call the "JJ Unwich." Nice!

Skip ahead to the best part of the day - ADDISON KABOOM TOWN! This was our second year to go and we had a blast. We don't actually go into the park and walk around; instead, we park in an empty lot a few miles away, pull out our lawn chairs, and visit with friends while listening to music and snackin' on some grub!


The fireworks went off at 9:30 pm and were synced with the music on a local radio station. Considering the roads were a parking for almost two hours after the conclusion of the fireworks, we opted to hang out and visit rather than sit in our cars and wait in the traffic.
It was a really fun time, and now you know why I didn't get home until 1:30 am!

Now for the important part of the post...

Food
12:30 pm - Turkey Tom "Unwich Style" at Jimmy John's (- mayo, + yellow mustard)

3:00 pm - brown rice, black beans, and diced tomatoes (see nutritional information/tips below)
6:30 pm - chocolate Shakeology + 1 cup chilled coffee + 1 cup ice
8:30 pm - 1 apple, carrot sticks, hummus

Workout
100 squats (while watching HGTV!)

Easy Beans & Rice
This is not fancy, but it's super easy (and inexpensive)!

I whipped up some brown rice a few nights ago to go with our dinner. I always make enough for leftovers since I only cook for two people. (I usually make dinner 2-3 times per week because it's way too difficult to cook every night for just my husband and me! The rest of the time we eat leftovers, cereal, etc.)

Anyway, back to the recipe. I start with one serving of instant brown rice...I open one can of reduced sodium black beans and one can of diced tomatoes...I measure one serving of each and mix it with the rice...throw it in the microwave  for two minutes with a little seasoning...and viola!


1 serving (2/3 c cooked) brown rice = 150 cal, 1.5 g fat, 34 g carb, 2 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 3 g prot
1 serving (1/2 c) reduced sodium black beans = 105 cal, .5 g fat, 23 g carb, 6 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 7 g prot
1 serving (1/2 c) diced tomatoes = 25 cal, 0 g fat, 6 g carb, 2 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 1 g prot

1 bowl = 230 cal, 2 g fat, 63 g carb, 10 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 11 g prot

Now, what about the rest of the ingredients? I divided everything into 2 pieces of tupperware, labeled each one with the number of servings (for my food journal), and stuck them in the fridge for a quick snack in the next day or two!



I'm going to leave you with some advice from Bob Harper. I absolutely love this list! It helps me realize that my ultimate goal is to do what's right for my body. I've mastered some of these but have a ways to go on others. We all have something to work on!
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment