Thursday, July 5, 2012

Eating Healthy While Eating Out

How much thought do you put into your meal choices before ordering at restaurants?

I'm happy to find that so many restaurants are posting their nutritional information now-a-days. However, I would bet that most people have
no idea what they're putting into their mouths...yet they wonder why they're 10, 20, or 30 pounds overweight...

For instance, take a look at Pei Wei's menu guide. Let's say you order the "Asian Chopped Chicken Salad" and eat the entire thing. Healthy, right? No. You just consumed 820 calories & 56 g fat. Now, look at the information of the same salad without dressing - 380 calories & 12 g fat. It is completely bearable to eat a salad without dressing, people! Especially when you're saving 440 calories and 44 g fat!

Today I ate lunch at Pei Wei with my mom and husband. I split a salad with my mom (left off the dressing) and had a cup of wonton soup. Total calories: 300. I was content but not stuffed. It's crazy to think that I used to order "Chicken Pad Thai" (1,44o calories & 40 g fat) or "Honey Seared Chicken" (860 calories & 30 g fat, not including the rice) and eat the whole dish! UGH!

I challenge you to look up the nutritional information next time you eat out. I have a feeling you'll be shocked at the numbers and will be more willing to make a healthy choice knowing the amount of calories and fat you'll save :)


Here we go...July 5th...


Food

9:45 am - chocolate Shakeology + 1 cup chilled coffee + 1 cup unsweetened flax milk + 1 ripe banana
12:30 pm - 1 serving (1/2 dish) chopped chicken salad (w/o dressing), cup of wonton soup (Pei Wei)
4:15 pm - 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup blueberries & 1 cup strawberries, 2 clementines
7:15 pm - baked potato with black beans & diced tomatoes

Workout
2-mile run (22 minutes = 11 min/mile, woohoo!)
100 squats


Before you leave, y
ou must read this blog post - "The Anti Diet." The three points that really hit home for me are #4, #6, and #8.

I love this and had to share...

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment